I have dry to very dry cheeks, oily t-zone with an acne-prone chin; most liquid foundation and concealer settles into my pores and is altogether rather frustrating. My shade is around NC5-10 with neutral to warm undertones on my face, my neck is a bit lighter. My hands are about the same as my neck and chest, but these swatches were done on my inner arm which is lighter than my neck/hands/chest. But hopefully this will give you an idea of how deep the shades are and what sort of undertones they have. I have also rediscovered a very good, quite light drugstore option that's mentioned in the bottom image that I purchased after this video. :)
- Missha Signature Real Complete in shade #13: very fair and pink clay/beige, doesn't agree with my skin and looks dry - but compares in lightness to L'Oreal True Match W1 and NARS Siberia but with a pink clay/beige undertone
- MAKE UP FOR EVER Face & Body #38 Pink Porcelain: a little dark but works with my skin, wish it was lighter and more yellow
- Laura Mercier Creme Smooth Foundation in Porcelain Ivory: extremely yellow - and I generally prefer yellow shades - doesn't sit that great on my dry cheeks, too emollient for my oily/acne prone areas
- Maybelline Fit Me Foundation in #110: more neutral toned, doesn't sit well on my skin but may try again soon
- OCC Skin Conceal in Y0: I use this mainly sheered out across cheeks and on brow bone to tone down freckles near my crease, it's okay but too emollient for oily areas as well
- CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3in1 in 805 Ivory: dark, too matte and doesn't sit well on my skin but others like Kristin Gehm get it to work on their dry skin so it's worth a shot!
- Revlon Colorstay Combo/Oily in 110 Ivory: this seems to oxidize more than most, it changes to quite a strong peachy color after about 20 minutes; too dark and too matte
- MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural in Light: one of my current favorites, it's a little dark (feels like it oxidizes a bit on my face) but I like that the finish is a little satin without the heavy shine of the next mineral powder (I plan to repurchase this)
- Laura Mercier Mineral Powder in Soft Porcelain: this is the best color I have, it doesn't settle into my pores, but I do need a pore minimizing primer because it has quite a bit of shine (favorite primer I've tried so far with this is Hourglass Veil)
- MAC Matchmaster in 1.0: MAC says this is about NC10 but I find it still a little dark and it doesn't sit well on my skin
- MAKE UP FOR EVER Full Cover Concealer in #1: it's not the best match but the formula works really well on my acne and sits reasonably well on my nose and even cheeks when sheered out
- Laura Geller Balance-n-Brighten in Porcelain: this is very light but fairly pink toned, it didn't photograph too well unfortunately; it also has a fair amount of sheen
- Paula's Choice Sheer Matte Tint in Level 1: if this was lighter, I'd wear it every day - I can slap it on without any thought and it looks great without settling into my pores
- Rachel K CC Cream in Fair: this is being discontinued, I picked it up from LisaLisaD1; it's quite pink but lighter than most products I have
So after trying a couple samples of high end foundations, they both didn't settle into my pores and I bought one I tried - the Dior Diorskin Nude Air in 010 on a rather impulsive high of excitement over hopefully finding a foundation I could easily apply with fingers. The color seemed workable though too dark (of course). Turns out it sits really poorly on my dry patches of skin so I will be returning it, and really it is fairly dark. When it applies in that patchy way, you can really see the yellowy tone. But given hope that I could wear foundation if it was a fresh bottle (I am thinking that old bottles may be an issue, and old testers when getting samples) I went back to one I knew was very light, L'Oreal True Match in W1. I had this many years ago and as I remembered, it's just about the lightest option I have except for the Laura Mercier Mineral Powder in Soft Porcelain and the Missha Signature Real Complete in #13. Here's swatches with my other very light options.
- Dior Diorskin Nude Air Serum de Teinte in 010: looks lovely from a distance but up close is quite visible, especially in dry patches, more matte than I prefer and too dark
- Laura Mercier Creme Smooth Foundation in Porcelain Ivory
- L'Oreal True Match in W1: less matte, very light and warm/neutral - similar to the Missha Signature Real Complete #13 but less pink
- Maybelline Fit Me Foundation in #110
- Missha Signature Real Complete #13
And lastly, I got samples of NARS All Day Luminous and Sheer Glow in Siberia to compare to L'Oreal True Match in W1 Porcelain. They are a similar lightness, but the L'Oreal has a little peach tone compared to the more true yellow of the NARS.
|NARS Luminous Siberia, NARS Sheer Glow Siberia, L'Oreal TM W1, LM Soft Porcelain, MAC MSFN in Light|
Here's the video! (or click here to go to youtube)