I think winged eyeliner is such a neat look, relatively basic and easy but no matter how many times I watched someone else do it - I struggle with my eye shape.
My eyes are a little droopy, a little downturned, possibly considered slightly hooded or mature. Whatever you call it, a wing will get caught up in the crease of my eye at the corner. Here's the best I can usually manage, and I had to re-do this completely once because I was frustrated with the outcome from just using liquid liner.
Straight on, you can't see much. It will kind of curl up and disappear with the crease of my eye. I've tried bringing it out further, extending the base past the corner of my eye, starting the lift of the wing before the corner of my eye.. nothing seems to work right. Here I used a very thin liner brush and a lackluster cream liner, then once it had set up completely I traced over with L'Oreal Lineur Intense Carbon Black to enhance the blackness, sharpen and extend the wing a touch.
Oh hey, there is some liner there!
And if anyone is curious, I was watching a video from Heidi on youtube, jalapena2007 - one of my favorites!
This was my original set of products, but I needed to augment with Physicians Formula cream liner, Anastasia Brow Wiz in Medium Ash.
- Primer: Smashbox Photo Finish (loving this lately, seems to help a tiny bit with shine during workday)
- Face: Physicians Formula Talc-Free Mineral powder in Translucent (also helps with the no shine formula)
- Concealer: Bare Minerals Well Rested on nose into cheeks for redness
- Under eyes: Garnier Anti-Dark Circle Roller
- Eyes: (primer LORAC first) Urban Decay 24/7 shadow liner in Sin
- Eyebrows: first I used Maybelline cream shadow Tough as Taupe on the spoolie but it was too light for photos, added on the Brow Wiz
- Winged Liner: Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips cream liner in black w/gold shimmer with L'Oreal Lineur Intense Carbon Black over top
- Waterline: NYX liner in White Pearl
- Mascara: several coats of Maybelline Full 'N Soft
- Cheeks: Jemma Kidd cream blush in Paw Paw - adore this stuff, it's so easy to apply and a gorgeous color
- Lips: LORAC Peach gloss
- And essentially makeup remover!: Estee Lauder Gentle Eye Makeup Remover with Q-Tips
Let me know if you have any tips or tricks for winged liner on trickier eye shapes. :)