So I'd considered signing up with BirchBox when it made the rounds of youtube the first time, but decided I wasn't keen on so much skincare after seeing several months from other people. I made a rather rash decision and signed up for Sample Society after seeing an Allure (maybe?) tweet, it seemed to have some good perks.
$15/month giving 5 deluxe samples, a year of Allure magazine and a $15 off $50 coupon on beautybar.com for any of the brands in the box, the magazine helped clinched it because I had just recently cancelled my subscription and was missing it.
It looks like they aren't taking members currently, but I haven't heard much about it so I figured I'd give my first impression.
So far I've used four of the items several times and one I haven't tried.
- Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant: I've been using it daily more or less to help with flakey skin especially around healing acne
- Oscar de la Renta Espirit d'Oscar Eau de Parfum: I'm a fragrance lover and always want to try something new, it's fresh and floral and not overpowering - I like it!
- Skyn Iceland Icelandic Relief Eye Pen: I have tried this out around my eyes - directly underneath I don't get puffy but more sunken in and the puffiness happens more on the edge of my cheekbones, I've used under my regular eye cream (Shiseido Benefiance). It gives a cooling feeling and I can't say I've seen much effect other than helping hydrate my always-dry undereyes
- Fekkai Advanced Brilliant Glossing Cream: I don't use products very often for my hair, I've tried it out and it seems to help the shine a tad with my usually somewhat fuzzy hair
The one item I've yet to try:
- Ren Glycolactic Skin Renewal Peel Mask: I'm interested in trying it out but haven't made the time, and wanted to make sure it doesn't aggravate my acne or cause me to over-exfoliate
I hope that future boxes have a bit of makeup as well, but I do like that the skincare that came in this wasn't something completely individual to skin type like a face wash or facial moisturizer. Have any of you signed up? What did you think of the first box?